The second drug candidate, THN201, has the potential to treat neurocognitive disorders linked to Alzheimer's disease. It combines donepezil, acting on neuronal activity, and mefloquine, acting on glial cell activity. This drug candidate is scheduled to begin clinical development in 2018. THN201 is covered by a family of patents that will expire in 2032 at the earliest.
Neurocognitive disorders linked to Alzheimer’s disease:
- Impairment of memory, judgment, orientation;
- 37 millions of patients affected in G20 countries;
- 60% to 70% of these disorders are due to Alzheimer’s disease;
- The prevalence increases with the aging of populations;
- One of the main reasons of institutionalization of elderly people in the world;
- A market size worth US$ 3,5B.